Friday, December 02, 2005

Bill Lyon hangs 'em up

During the busy couple weeks, I'm sure I missed quite a few links that should ahve been here. I don't usually go back, but I'm making an exception. When Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Bill Lyon's recent columns page had been vacant for a few months I asked a guy I knew at that paper what the story was. He told me Lyon had retired. I found it odd and disappointing that he didn't write a farewell piece. Turns out he finally did on Nov. 20. It's fine work like most of his columns. I've been to Philly a lot and usually read both papers at the airport Denny's every morning. Lyon always seemed to have the right touch on a topic. Here are some of his favorites, including one about his dog who died and another about Maurice Cheeks singing the national anthem along side the 13-year-old girl with stage fright. Here are some passages from his colleagues favorites. Lyon, whose wife battled cancer, always wrote warmly about Lance Armstrong. This piece remains one of my favorites.

Despite his loss the Inquirer still has an impressive collection of columnists, many of whom wrote about him including:

Bob Ford
Phil Sheridan
Stephen A. Smith

Some famous Philadelphians chimed in too.

His work will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home