Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Carlos Delgado and God Bless America

Bill Rhoden of the New York Times likes to jump on any issue where politics and sports meet. It's been an m.o. of his for some time. He regularly writes some thought provoking pieces and I often agree with him. This time I'm not so sure.

Rhoden supports Carlos Delgado's decision not to step out of the dug out and stand during God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch.  

Delgado is generally regarded as one of the sport's good guys. I'm not disputing that. His  decision is a personal statement not to support the U.S. war in Iraq. I'm not sure he's wrong in that stance, but exactly how is standing during God Bless America implied support of the war?  I wonder if Delgado could have found a better way to make his stand.

God Bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her, and guide her Thru the night with a light from above. From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam God bless America, My home sweet home.

Irving Berlin's message doesn't seem particularly war-mongering to me.

I'm no longer an overly religious person and whether an almighty power blesses nations or not is an issue well beyond my understanding.

But if it does, whether or not the American war efforts are just, this nation in turbulent times, could use a blessing from somewhere.

Other links on this issue:
Toronto Star Feature
Toronto Star/Puerto Rico Herald Column
Toronto Star follow up today (July 21) as Jays head to New York
The Metro Pulse

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home