Tuesday, May 17, 2005

It's a Boston Globe heavy Tuesday

Oil Can Boyd stories are always fun.

Stan Grossfield has the odd story of a golf course on prison grounds.

Thomas Boswell on Chad Cordero.

Jim Reeves wrote an interesting column about Buck Showalter attending his daughter's graduation. But he did it in the second person,which is a slippery slope, in my opinion. Its' not impossible to do this well, but it's extremely hard.

The goal is to try to make the reader understand or at least reflect on what its like to be the subject of the story. If it isn't perfect or close to it, it reads gimmicky. This column is better than most attempts, but it still feels like he tried too hard.

I'm not a regular Reeves' reader, but I like a lot of what I've seen of his work, but I think this one could have been better if he'd used another voice.

I'm down off my high horse for now.

I enjoyed John Levesque's column on Ichiro. I don't read the Seattle papers every day, but I imagine its hard to come up with new angles on him regularly. I thought this one was well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home