Saturday, March 19, 2005

Vermont Madness

"The magic of the tournament is a night just like tonight. We'll never forget it, and I'll never forget it."
Vermont coach Tom Brennan


I don't know that I've ever been to a game where there was so little media cynicism. Watching Vermont upset Syracuse and watching their fans revel in the moment had even the crustiest media in Worcester smiling. Moments like that make the NCAA Tournament what it is. I'm glad I was there.


Feinstein on the Catamounts.




Jackie MacMullen isn't sick of Brennan yet.

Jim Donaldson on T.J. Sorrentine

NCAAVermont4


Mark Blaudschun sums it up.

John Feinstein's column before the game had some good quotes including.

"Actually the only tape I see after a game is whatever highlights come on the TV set in the bar I'm in," Brennan said.

"It suddenly hit me that unless lightning strikes twice the next few days, the next time I walk in here, I won't be a coach anymore," he said. "That got to me. I know there will be other moments, but I'm okay with it. I've always said that with space, comes peace. I've always had space at Vermont, even when we were losing. Now, I'm completely at peace."


NY Post's Lenn Robbins' game story under the headline


Steve Serby's column on the game.

Andy Katz chimes in too.

The Burlington Free Press is undercovering the biggest sports story in its history.

Jeff Pinkham column

They're talking Sweet Sixteen now.

NY Times Pete Thamel's take on the game.

Bernie Miklasz is a little late to the Vermont story, but its not a bad column.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home